Well we are still lounging around the house here come February 2021 so might as well make something cute and comfy to wear. I love a women boxer short. I use to take my husband’s until I bought a knit boxer set for myself and was blown away by the comfort. So I decided to make my own PJ Lounge short with Stylish Fabric’s knit. They have the best knits, prints, and prices around so load up on a few options. You need about 1 yard of each. Here are the prints I picked Palm Leaves and Coral Stripes.
-1 yard knit fabric or cotton fabric: Palm Leaves and Coral Stripes.
–1 yard soft elastic for Underwear or Pajamas
-Simple Shorts Pattern or draft one. (I drafted mine)
-Brother 1034D Serger and Brother Sewing machine (SE1900)
You’ll need a basic loose-fitting short pattern with an elastic waistline. You can draft your pattern as well, which is what I did. Follow this post to see a bit on how that’s done.
Cut your pattern out. Place right sides together and stitch the inseam. I serged mine but you can also use a zigzag stitch with your sewing machine.
Open the pieces up and place front and back right sides together.
Stitch the bottom seam and the side seams.
Flip the bottom hem over and stitch. You can use a double needle or a zigzag stitch.
Once the hem is complete it’s time to sew the waistline.
Tip: Use a soft waistband if you plan to sleep in these and don’t make it too snug. These should hang nicely on your waist.
- Measure your waist and use that measurement to cut the elastic to that exact length.
- Overlap the elastic 1/2″ and zigzag stitch closed.
- Find the midpoints of the elastic and midpoint of the shorts (side seams).
- Pin the points together and if need be find the quarter points as well.
- Sew (using a zigzag stitch) the top edge of the elastic to the top edge of the wrong side of the waist about 1/16th from the edge.
- As you sew pull the elastic to meet each point.
- Fold over the elastic and topstitch along the bottom edge of the elastic using a zigzag stitch or twin needle.
These are so fun! From lounge to even a nice Summer short to wear to the beach or pool. In collaboration with www.StylishFabric.com